Friday, October 3, 2008

Sick and tired of stereotyping

Ok, so at work, one of my coworkers has made comments such as: "Ya when i talk to you i can tell your head is in the clouds and you usually don't know what im talking about" "I knew you'd panic if I did that" "I knew you probably would be too scared to handle it" OK. So. Confrontation occured, and he is no longer allowed to talk to me in that way, or basically pretty much to talk to me. So, then tonight at work, some little tweens snuck into a movie, and after much talking, many lies from them, and much convincing that no, im not stupid i do remember selling one person three tickets, and giving those tickets to other friends does not count, finally one girl said k well then can we get our money back and just leave? and so i said yes. WELL, one guy in the theater that they snuck into told me i was way too nice and then walked away, while another guy told me that what i should've done was just kicked them out. Excuse me, I do recall being asked to be the assistant manager, i do recall that tonight when i got ready I was the one who put on the button up collared shirt with the theater's logo on the front, I do recall that I am 18 years old (which may be young however,) and I can make MY own decisions about what to do with tweenage liars. Personally I think i did the right thing, whether or not others dont like it. I also know that i may be short, and i may be young, but this is my job, and i will do it how i want it done, (and how my boss mr moser would like it done) and so far he has not had any complaints, if he ever does he will tell me, and i will change, but right now could people please stop treating me with disrespect just because i may not "look" the part? For crying out loud, when unless their married, a lot of men that are 'nice' to me ask me when i get off work!! (thus the reason i wear a fake wedding ring to work)
Those reading this: have you ever experienced what i have- being stereotyped basically as a retard?
Have you ever just wanted to slap a coworker in the face? (im sure this one is common)
Please let me know, cuz i'm Sick And Tired of Being Stereotyped.

Also, thanks to all those of you who just love everyone regardless of who you might think they are or what they've done or whatever, I'll try to be more like you guys. I know this blog sounds pretty angry (cuz i am) but I just had to vent out my frustrations.

5 comments:

Tia said...

oh sammy, I love you and I know that whatever you did was prob the right thing to do! :) LUVS!

Unknown said...

Sammy, I think you do a great job, and I think you handle things well. I've been stereotyped in different ways, but I have definately gotten the "Oh, he's young. That means he's a complete idiot and anything I think will be better than whatever comes out of his mouth!" And it is so frustrating, but somedays you just have to deal with it. You'll be okay though Sam, because you do do a great job, and sometimes the hard things in life, or the hard times, generally mean that you're working for something better, or that things are about to get really good, so chin up sister! You are AMAZING! It doesn't matter what any bonehead thinks, because as the name that I just called them implies, they are boneheads. You are not. You are a smartyhead. You just got dealt a hard hand in life, with amazingly good looks (that happen to run in the family) AND there's not an empty gap between your ears. You are very lucky. Love ya sister.

Melissa and Michael said...

I had the same issue with kids sneaking into the play a few years ago. funny thing is, is that Rich didn't believe me and he thought that I let them in and then the kids wouldn't leave and I wasn't allowed back in that night. But of course it wasn't true someone had let them in another door. Wow that really mad me angry that Rich didn't trust me enough that I could handle a situation like that. So I think you did a great job.

Toni de Tiger said...

Sammy. You are an amazing worker. I always loved working with you! And you can always vent out your frustrations to me! :) I love you and miss you my friend!

Veronica said...

I'm with you...sometimes being the manager kind of stinks...and people don't realize how hard it really is until they are in the position...just learn from everything you experience and you will never look at managers the same after having been there yourself and in the future managers will greatly appreciate your understanding of how hard it can be sometimes! Just keep up the good work!