Monday, September 2, 2013

Good Ole' Facebook.

So, probably about 2 years ago I deactivated my facebook account for a loooong list of good reasons. And I felt like life was just slightly less complicated because of it. And Lots of people congratulated me, patted me on the back, and gave me many nods of approval. But, it was like one of about 2 or 3 people I know who was able to say goodbye to constant communication with so many people that I didn't need to be in constant communication with. I also had a few people argue with my reasons, and try to make me see that my list had no weight, no substance, and they tried to essentially help me down from my soapbox.

Well, I faithfully stood there for the 2 years, and I was pretty comfortable.

Until I went to the special broadcast titled, "The Work of Salvation" where Elder L. Tom Perry introduced some new policies regarding missionary work and websites such as Facebook. I won't re-quote everything he said, and I've given you enough information that you can go look it up on lds.org to read his talk if you'd like.

When I was listening, I had a truly humbling experience. I wouldn't necessarily call it repentant, because me not having facebook wasn't wrong. But, I felt like I was being asked to be a missionary--something I always wanted to be, and something I strive to be. But I also felt like I was being told that one of the best ways to do that, in this day and age, is to have a facebook account. I looked at my husband. He looked at me. And seriously guys, I feel passionately about the negatives of facebook, and I know it's silly to so many, but I knew that I would have to make a huge decision.

And I also looked up the church's stance on facebook.

I thought, well I have a blog, and that's good enough isn't it? I can share my testimony there!?!? right?!? And it was like a voice said, "yeah, to the 3 people that read it." Ok, ok. But I still didn't go home and log on to facebook. I just pondered. For a while now.

And then a few different experiences happened. And I got little arrows, and little answers, and finally I added my name to Colten's account. And I still am kind of sick about it. Because part of me just has so much appreciation for the old way of communicating. And although I fear for what facebook is doing to the upcoming generations, I see now, that it has to happen.

And the only way for me to get to know some of my sunday school students, my present co-workers and past co-workers, and even family, is through technology. And specifically, Facebook.

So, alas. I have finally given in. Not because of the pressures of society, but because it's an opportunity to share my testimony, and to connect with ward members, family members, and the other people I mentioned earlier.

So there's my dramatic, yet true explanation as to why I have now re-connected on good ole' Facebook.

And I figure, that I better just be humble in life, instead of prideful. It seems as if I've been told this before....maybe once or twice......but this is one example of me practicing what has been preached. I hope I can always be a person who admits when they're wrong. And who looks for the good in all. And who strives to be an example instead of an angry individual. This isn't the first time I've ever eaten humble pie, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

No comments: