Saturday, July 13, 2013

Truth

Wine is strong
Men are stronger
Women are stronger still
Truth conquers all

-written by Free Masons in Latin on the walls of the Rosslyn Chapel

President Thomas S. Monson said in this months First Presidency Message,

"Vice never leads to virtue. Hate never promotes love. Cowardice never gives courage. Doubt never inspires faith. ...Times change, but truth persists."
I haven't blogged in a while because I haven't found anything that I consider blog-worthy. I could put more things up of my baby girl who is almost crawling and a little miss independent, but I could also just get a facebook account again to do that. I look at my blog as a place for me to write whatever I want, but more and more, I want it to be things of worth. And sometimes my posts are ridiculousness and that's okay too. But these phrases stood out to me. The first one I found in my book of scribbles that I learned when we visited that famous chapel in the U.K. and I had forgotten what a cool little piece of poetry it was. I like simplicity when it comes to poetry. I don't like reading a poem and being completely stumped at what the meaning is. And this is pure simplicity and truth at it's finest, but it's powerful isn't it? It was to me. I remember the tour guide told us the saying and it was like it stuck into my head as easily as if the guide had physically typed it into my brain...that was a strange visual...but it was that powerful to me. Simple and powerful. If you get the power, great, if not, thats fine too.

And I'm sure there are millions of famous quotes regarding truth. But sometimes when I hear or see things in the same small amount of time that all coincide together I figure Heavenly Father is trying to remind me of something. And His reminder as of late has been that truth is truth! It is just that! Nothing can break the truth. Nothing can change the truth. The truest truth of all will withstand any blow that comes attacking. And if you find the truth, doesn't that give you comfort? Does it add to the power that is in the Iron Rod to which we are supposed to hold? I find that it does. It makes me feel harmless. Like anything could go wrong in my life, but if I have the truth, I will be okay. 

President Monson's quote also reminds me of a conversation I had with one of my good friends who just left for college. She is a few years younger than I and when she was graduating she had a lot of questions. I don't know if I gave too many good answers, but one thing that stood out to me and to her is when our discussion lead to the following: It's probably better if you test the gospel by living righteously, than by living wickedly. You will probably find joy quicker, and you will in the majority of circumstances find less heartache. Because just as he says, "cowardice never gives courage". In other words, it takes courage to find courage! It takes trying to do the right thing even when doing what's wrong seems a whole lot easier! 

So, the simple truths I have to work on trusting are the following:

Read my scriptures--DAILY
Say my prayers---like I never want to stop talking to my Father in Heaven
Study good things--edify myself regularly of the truths I've been taught
Attend the temple more often

Because truth conquers all. 


No comments: