Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The belief of your own importance.

I realize this is a sideways, blurry, horrible photo, but there is a very serious point behind it. This morning we found this little "fortune teller" in one of the theaters after thee infamous kids shows. It had a 1,2,3, and 4 on the front four options, and then various numbers to choose from when you move the four points up or down....you know how the game works.... everyone knows how the game works. Countless times my friends or people I knew made these and we'd play with them for way too long. Well, today me and my two almost little brothers decided to try it out. After playing with it we discovered the four different possible fortunes.....

1- No true love.
2- Marry your true love.
3- You're a jerk.
4- Baby at fifteen.

WHAT?!!!!??

Those are my four options???

Never in my life do I ever remember anyone writing "baby at fifteen" as an option when I was a young girl playing with paper fortune tellers.

What is this world coming to????

This subject of the title of this post has been on my mind for a while now, and I'm sick and tired of women not thinking they are good enough.

Why do we do this to ourselves? How do we teach little girls that you either marry your true love, or there is no true love, or you must be a jerk, or you're having a baby at fifteen!!!!!!!

And why as women do we not consider ourselves to be amazing, important, vital, essential, etc....?

I heard somebody say the other day that they didn't deserve something that they just received, and when I say received I mean that I know darn well that she has worked hard to get to where she is, and that she beyond deserves what she was just blessed with. And she didn't say it out of modesty, or out of a desire for compliments, she truly----head down and all----expressed that she was undeserving of the blessing that now is part of her everyday.

I about reached across the room and slapped her.

**Newsflash** It is okay to know that you are okay. Being pleased with yourself is not a sin. Believing that you can do more than have a baby at fifteen or be a jerk does not make you proud. Believing that you are an important person, with important ideas and amazing gifts and wonderful qualities does not make you arrogant. Sometimes we perceive people with confidence as people with arrogance, and maybe they fit into that category. But you don't have to.

There is not a law of truth (refer to previous post) written stating that it is better if you think of yourself as scum because you probably are not that great, and it makes you look humble. that's RIDICULOUSNESS.

Humility and confidence can go together. They can actually be really happy together. Together they can do great things.

Women, you are special. simply just because of who you are. Every one of you has a gift, whether its visible, or maybe sometimes unnoticed, it's there. And I know maybe I sound like a preacher sometimes, I don't mean to do that. But I cannot be silent. I cannot sit and watch girls or anyone, continuously put themselves down. Sometimes I am in that state of mind and I wish somebody would reach across the room and slap me!

Some of us are born mothers, some writers, some both. Some are born speakers, some thinkers, some both. Some are born physically strong, some are born mentally strong, some are born both. Some seem to have all the gifts ever given---and some struggle to see that they are those kind of people.

The woman who claimed "undeserving" is a woman who I have looked up to my whole life. And in that instance, all of a sudden, I realized, she too had a weakness, and that it was not one I wanted to admire. At times we look at others who seem to have it all, and don't realize that maybe all they have is the belief  that they have it all. I didn't expect her to haughtily tell the world how awesome she is, but I did hope that she could see the blessing for what it truly is, a blessing, from the Lord, because she has lived her life righteously thus far, and I'm quite sure she will continue to do so.

If you can believe, that you will do, can do, and are doing great things in this life, then guess what, you probably are going to, and you probably are.

And most importantly, when you become who you are allowed to aspire and hope to be, you will undoubtedly teach another young girl how to do so.

If we can believe that we are important, they will see that they are important too. I realize now that one heart with the belief of it's own importance can be the catalyst for change in the hearts of many. I want my little girl to know she is smart. Brilliant even. I want her to believe that she can do anything. And I want her to make her own choices based on those beliefs. I realize that one of the only ways I can enable her to do so, is by doing so myself.

And if I believe that I'm important, then a lot of times that helps me see others as important. And it starts a chain reaction. And I like the life that fortune leads me to much better than the options the 'fortune teller' gave me today.