Monday, February 7, 2011

Humbling. And even Empowering.


This isn't a post about one big huge momentous happening in which I was shot down into humble territory. It is a post about little moments that remind me how grateful I am- or rather, how grateful I should be. I've been reading a book called, "The Survivors Club" and I was gonna post somethin-or-uther about it at the end. But I'm halfway through and just thought I'd throw somethin out about it. I've read about people who have survived ridiculous events such as: falling 30000 feet out of an airplane, (p.s. the airplane exploded so she already survived the bomb) landing in dirt, and living. (True Story) A woman who was attacked by a cougar- i can't remember the statistics for this exactly but just know it RARELY happens and also know that the cougar basically chewed on her face during the experience so it's crazy that she survived. A woman hit by a 43000 pound truck while riding her bike- her injuries included : broken: neck, clavicle, scapula, sacrum, all right side ribs, sternum, patellas, right tibia, right fibula, and pelvis. Oh and it severed her aorta, collapsed her lungs, liver was shoved into chest cavity, diaphragm ruptured and her kidneys were bruised. When the doctors calculated her likelyhood of living it literally was a zerrro. There are also people who have managed to get out of crashed and burning planes just in time, people who survive the ocean all alone and freezing, and one gal who survived the Holocaust- and what's crazy about her is how she got out, the nazis thought she was dead because she was so tiny and sick looking so they through her into the pile of corpses- where not too long after some other good people came and saw her waving her hand and saved her. Most of these were women, I didn't mean to do that but it's true there are a lot of women who have survived a lot of junk. These stories are amazing- they are no doubt humbling. BUT then, I go to church, or I talk to folks at work, and I realize how many survivors I talk to everyday. People who have survived things I don't even want to think about. Even if they don't deal with the physical things, they have dealt with heartbreak all the same, they have dealt with loneliness, and they have felt the pain that comes around everyday just from being sad. Now remember this is now a blog about positive things, and so although the above mentioned experiences may have seemed negative they REALLY are positve. Why? Because. God loves us. How do we pull that truth out of all this heartache? Because He gives each of us trials to see if we'll survive em. And you know what? it makes us more like Him every time we do. And that's what He really wants, is for us to understand, to learn, and to become. My trials have been trials specifically for Sammy-for me- and they are still teaching me what I need to learn- and life is so much about what I learn from them and how i let it affect my choices. So anyway, I'm sending a shout out to all the survivors out there that have survived what may be percieved as big or small- they are survivors nonetheless. My family is full of survivors and I'm glad i have such great examples to look to. I'm thankful for the things I've "survived"(though they may be mental more than physical 95% of the time) it's good for me. It means I have the trust of Heavenly Father who knows I can work through anything. The same goes for everyone who reads this, Surviving is different- it has many forms, but it reaches inside a person and forces them to choose to pull out the divinely inherited traits they have and use them to become more like Him- Or to choose to leave what's inside of them alone and pretend it's not there because it seems easier. The world puts a certain pressure on the people living here and now that hasn't really been there before. Pull through it though, don't let pressures weigh you down. In the simplest of terms, You Can Do It!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Paragraphs Sammy. Paragraphs.